Dog/Cat Licenses

Any dog or cat more than five months old as of January 1st or within 30 days of becoming five months old must have a City license.

Registration forms are available at City Hall or click here  for the dog/cat license application. A copy of your animal’s current rabies vaccination record is required by State Statute (Chapter 174) and must accompany the application. If you would like to mail in your application form, send it to the City of Elkhorn, 9 S. Broad Street, Elkhorn, WI 53121. Please enclose a stamped self-addressed envelope and your pet’s tag will be sent to you. Or, you may drop your registration form off at City Hall during regular office hours, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

2016 Fees are $12 for spayed or neutered animals; $27 for unaltered animals
2017 Fees are $13 for spayed or neutered animals; $30 for unaltered animals
An $5 penalty is added if the pet is not registered before April 1 of each year.

A City license tag on a cat or dog’s collar assists local officials in locating the owners of a lost animal. Dogs or cats are not allowed to run at large within the City limits.

The following activities related to animals are unlawful in the City of Elkhorn:

  • To cruelly treat any animal
  • To permit any animal (cat or dog) to run at large
  • To allow a dog to bark or howl so as to unreasonably disturb another person
  • To permit solid fecal matter of an animal to be deposited on any city street, alley or other public or private property unless such matter is immediately removed there from by said owner or person in charge.
  • No person (or household) shall keep, own or control more than three dogs or cats, or a total combination of four animals of more than five months of age at any one time.

For further information, please refer to the City Ordinances as follows:

  • Regulation of animals - Code Section 12.04
  • Animals running at large - Code Section 9.07

All animal bites must be reported to the police department immediately.

The city’s policy for handling calls for the control of nuisance wildlife is to provide a list of area wildlife contractors.

To report an animal violation, call the Police Department at (262)723-2210 and an officer will be assigned to investigate the complaint.

Click here to go to the Lakeland Animal Shelter website.