New!  Refuse/Recycling Service Changes

City Hall
Parks and Recreation

City Hall

What is the tax key number of a particular parcel of property?

Depends upon where the parcel of land is located – within or outside of the City limits. All parcel numbers of property within the City of Elkhorn begin with the letter “Y.”  Most addresses beginning with a letter such as N6400 or W4600 are properties located within a town and not in the City limits.

How and where do I obtain a bartenders license? How much is the fee and when will the license be issued?

Operator License Applications are available at City Hall. The application must be notarized. A notary is available at City Hall. Proof of bartending or a Seller/Server Certification within the past two years is required prior to approval of the license by the Common Council. The fee is $50 for the two-year license. If a license is applied for in the second year, the fee is $25.

The same application allows you to obtain a Provisional Operators License (temporary bartending license) for an additional $10 fee. The 60-day Provisional Operators License is a temporary license while the applicant obtains proof of the Seller/Server Certification. The license is issued within three working days after submittal to the Police Chief. You or your employer will be notified when the license can be picked up at City Hall.


Parks and Recreation

Where is the Parks & Recreation Department located?

200 Devendorf Street. The back of Sunset Park next to the play equipment.

When are the Recreation Guides circulated?

The summer guide is published in early April.  The fall guide is published in early August.  The winter/spring guide is published in early December.  The guides are distributed to students in the Elkhorn Area School District.  They can also be found after that date at the Chamber of Commerce, City Hall, The Recreation Center, the Library, and the city website.

Am I considered a resident or non-resident?

The City of Elkhorn declares the following policy for residency requirements:

A person is considered a resident if the citizen resides within the corporate boundaries of the City of Elkhorn (Not school district or postal city). 

A person is not considered a resident if any of the following occur:

  • A City of Elkhorn business owner that lives outside of the City of Elkhorn limits.
  • Citizens that reside outside of the City of Elkhorn limits.  If you live in the Town of Lafayette, Town of Geneva, Town of Delavan, or Town of Sugar Creek, you are a non-resident.
  • Baby sitters, day care employees, relatives, and participants that live outside the corporate limits of the City of Elkhorn.
  • Cannot provide proof of residency when registering for programs.

Can I register after the deadline?

Yes, but you are not guaranteed a spot on a team.  If there is space available, your child will be placed on a team.  If not, they will be placed on a waiting list until another team can be formed.         

What do I do if it looks like rain outside and my child has a game?

Updates and cancellations are now available through text alerts.  Text @elkhornrec to 81010 with your cell phone to receive these updates.  Cancellations are also listed on our Facebook page at Elkhorn Recreation Department. 

How far in advance can I reserve Babe Mann Park, Sunset Park, or the Community Center?

We begin accepting reservations for the current calendar year the first working day after the New Year Holiday.

Will I get a refund if the pool closes after I paid a daily fee?

Refunds are not given if the pool closes due to inclement weather or unforeseen circumstances.

My child needs to be placed on a certain team, is this possible?

The Recreation Department does its best to honor requests for younger teams; however, for older children teams are set by drafts and requests cannot be accommodated.

If I am not able to make it to the Recreation Center during business hours, how do I sign my child up for programming?

Registration forms can be mailed to: Parks & Recreation, PO Box 920, Elkhorn WI 53121.  They could also be placed in the drop box located on S. Broad Street next to the City Hall entrance.  Registration can also be done on the city website.

I have a terrace tree that needs to be trimmed.  How do I have this taken care of?

Call the Department of Public Works at (262)723-2223, and the tree will be scheduled for trimming or removal.

When do your tree trimmings take place?

November, December, January and February.


Top of PagePolice

What is the curfew for the City of Elkhorn?

Curfew hours are from 10:30pm – 4:00am, Sunday through Thursday and midnight to 4:00am, Friday and Saturday.

Can you provide me with a copy of my driving record?

The police department is not allowed to give out copies of a person’s driving record.

You may check the status of your Wisconsin Driver's License by clicking here.

In order to receive a copy of your driving record you will need to complete a form which can be downloaded by clicking here and mailed to:

Wisconsin Department of Transportation
P.O. Box 7995
Madison, WI  53707-7995

or by phone, 24 hours a day, seven days a week at:

Phone number:  (608)261-2566

There is a fee of $5 for the request. 

Can I get a copy of my criminal history at the police department?

The police department does not maintain an individual’s criminal history record. Criminal history information is maintained by the Wisconsin Department of Justice. You may obtain adult criminal history information by completing a request, available on-line by clicking here. 

Or you may pick up a criminal history request form from the police department and mail the completed form to the Wisconsin Department of Justice. Release of criminal history information from other states is governed by the laws of each state. To assist you in keeping up with procedures in all states, information regarding criminal history release policies may be found on the Department of Justice website.

I received a citation from a City of Elkhorn Police Officer, where can I pay that fine?

Traffic and municipal citations and warrants can be paid at the Elkhorn Municipal Clerk of Courts office located at 100 W. Walworth Street, between the hours of 8:00am and 4:00pm, Monday through Thursday, the office is closed Fridays and weekends. Payments may also be made at the Elkhorn Police Department, Monday through Friday, 5:45am – 9:45pm and on Saturdays from 8:00am – 4:00pm.  Accepted forms of payment are credit card, cash, money order and certified check.

Where do I get a bike license?

Bike licenses can be obtained at the police department for a fee of $3 which is good for as long as you own the bike.  The bike owner will have to provide the necessary information to complete the license application, such as serial number, make, model and owner information.

Could you tell me how the road conditions are?

Winter road conditions are available by calling the Wisconsin Department of Transportation’s road condition report at (800)ROADWIS [(262)762-3947], or on-line at the Department of Transportation website.

During winter, how long do I have before my sidewalk must be shoveled?

The owner, occupant or person in charge of the property which fronts upon or abuts any sidewalk shall keep said sidewalks clear of all snow and ice.  Sidewalks must be cleared of snow and/or ice within 24 hours from the time the snow ceases.

Where can I find a current list of local sex offenders?

Sex offender information is available on-line from the Wisconsin Sex Offender Registry.

May I put signs/trees on the terrace?

There shall be no signs of any kind placed on the city terrace, which is that portion of the public right of way located between the back edge of the curb and street sideline of the sidewalk.  The police department can confiscate any signs that have been placed on the terrace.  The city does allow deciduous leaf trees to be planted in the terrace, however permission must first be obtained from the Department of Public Works.

Top of Page